Sunday 22 April 2012

Final full digipak with analysis


This is our combined digipak, with everyone's section. I think it works well with the colour scheme, it doesn't over power the imagery, nor is it unnoticeable. It fits well. I like the addition of the artist in the bottom left panel, I took this picture on one of our filming days, with Radhika, during early December last year. The black and white looks great with the rest of the panels.


Initially I had devised two back panels for the digipak, and I asked the group which design they thought was better. We decided on the one we have included because it's quite easy to read the writing unlike the other design I made. 

The other design was this.

 

I liked the thought of the writing around the outside, because I thought it looked more artistic and Indie. However I felt it was hard to read. Also the font was originally the same, however I saved this design onto my memory stick which I lost, so that really wasn't a help. I then found a half completed design of this on the school's computer system, I then gave it to Radhika to save on her memory stick and she added in the different writing. I had found the images, which were sourced online, and I also decided on this font, which I believe was 'Kristen ICT' on word. I wanted to give the impression of child like hand writing, which you can see with the top panel of writing and right hand side. Both do not use capital letters unlike the later addition of Radhika's writing. I had also initially written a blog post on these ideas, under the title of storyboarding. I had thought of a black box like this with writing around it and an image in the middle. I had also contemplated doing something with the front panel, with block letters of our artists name 'Oliver Fox' and his song 'Nights of broken sleep', I had taken inspiration for this idea from The Drums album cover, which can be found under the blog post on digipak inspiration.

I wanted to maintain the black and white theme throughout; because it linked to our dark themes of our music video and I also felt black and white was a convention that some Indie artists often used. The image that I designed for the back panel looks like a heart to me, which I thought represented some of the love themes in our music video, In addition to linking to the lyrics, 'This is a song for anyone with a broken heart'


The image of our artist in the bottom left hand side of the digipak and above, was taken by me in colour and converted into black and white; I loved this image and thought it would work perfectly. I thought we needed to include an image of our artist; otherwise the album wouldn't really fit the conventions of typical albums. I also thought that the top middle panel should have been replaced by another image of our artist, because the album was becoming too abstract and this could deter some customers from buying the album, as some people like to see the artist. Also this picture in practically had no real meaning to our piece, as it was just a river with some effects. 
 Apart from that the overall digipak works well; the CD is well constructed and better than I imagined it would be like. The black CD, with pale blue roses fit so well. The font and design of the song titles flowed with the CD.



In addition to our digipak, we originally decided to create a website, however when researching this, we found that it may be harder to carry out than we initally thought. Especially because we didn't really know how to use the software. So we then decided to create a magazine advertisement. We created two of these campaigns that we would later add into NME Magazine,

After analysing the first one on the left, some of the group members, including myself thought this image looked too 'techno' for our genre, and that it didn't really fit, with the bright, colourful light rays, in comparrision to those I had researched, where they used pale colours, and interesting images.
However we did all agree this was well constructed and it would definitely stand out in a magazine. The second image on the right, in my opinion flows a lot better with the indie genre. A number of reasons made the second image better than the first, the use of instrument and interesting setting, makes a much better image, as you can see the artist. The effects used on the second one are better, as we have sectioned the image into parts, which makes the release date stand out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment